Lexbridge draws upon a deep pool of experts and experience in its areas of practice.
Lexbridge offers world-leading international legal expertise that you will not find in any other legal practice. Our practical experience, honed over decades on the world stage, enables us to provide services in a real-world context to shape critical interests.
We have advised on many of the most important international events and developments in recent decades, including:
– negotiation of climate change agreements (for example, the Kyoto Protocol and Paris Agreement)
– negotiation of arms control and counter-proliferation agreements (for example, the Cluster Munitions Convention and Arms Trade Treaty)
– negotiation of diverse defence and security related treaties and less-than-treaty-status instruments
– development of operational legal frameworks and advice on international humanitarian law (for example, in Iraq, Afghanistan, Timor Leste, and humanitarian relief missions)
– leading country reports to United Nations human rights treaty bodies, and
– negotiation of aviation and maritime conventions (for example, the Beijing Convention and Protocol).
Lexbridge offers trade and investment services from experts who have been at the forefront of the global system for decades. Our trade and investment expertise is deep and comprehensive. We have extensive experience providing advice and assistance across the entire range of trade issues including under the WTO, Free Trade Agreements, and investment treaties.
We have advised on and negotiated numerous regional Free Trade Agreements, including the ‘mega-regional’ Comprehensive and Progressive Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) and agreements with the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
We have supported the negotiation and implementation of bilateral FTAs in the Asia-Pacific and beyond, including with Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea, the European Union and United States. We have extensive experience advising on, negotiating, and renegotiating investment treaties.
We have also worked on major investment arbitrations and WTO cases.
Lexbridge has extensive experience delivering training and technical assistance for governments across the Asia-Pacific region on a broad range of international trade and investment issues.
Lexbridge has decades of accumulated know-how enabling us to navigate and deliver outcomes for government agencies. We understand how government works and draw upon our experience as former government lawyers to deliver outcomes within this environment.
We have a proven ability to advise on and deliver solutions in relation to complex, high profile, and sensitive matters for government across a range of areas. This includes a strong capacity to conduct stakeholder engagement across government. Some major projects have included:
– development of multi-billion-dollar land, air and sea defence capability agreements (for example, frigates, fighter aircraft, and armoured fighting vehicles)
– major strategic defence cooperation agreements (for example, the Australia-Singapore Military Training Initiative)
– development of Asia-Pacific security frameworks and initiatives (for example, the Solomon Islands security assistance agreement)
– the national review of regulatory frameworks for the development of the hydrogen industry
– major legislative reform projects (for example, maritime enforcement powers legislation, enactment of an offence of torture in the Criminal Code, and extension of the Commonwealth prohibition on the death penalty to all States and Territories), and
– coordinating and contributing to Australia’s engagement with UN human rights treaty bodies and the UN Human Rights Council.
Lexbridge has a practice area providing legal support to countries in anti-money laundering and countering the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT), including in anti-corruption and countering other forms of financial crime. Our multi-disciplinary team includes highly experienced lawyers with expertise in international law, domestic law and AML/CFT; legislative drafting; policy development; forensic accounting; criminal asset confiscation litigation including conviction and non conviction based forfeiture, financial investigations, criminal asset investigation and litigation capacity-building and training. Find out more about Lexbridge’s AML/CFT practice area.